Monday, July 22, 2013

Racism and Biases

So, I have told you that I teach in a high poverty school. But what I haven't told you, is that most of my students are Hispanic. I have students coming from Mexico, Ecuador, and many more places around the world. I only have a couple white children every year. I also have a few African-American children every year, but the majority of my classes are usually Hispanic.

I have found that Hispanic families value education very much. So, I am very appreciated by these parents. They appreciate all the time and effort that goes into teaching their children how to read, write, and speak English. Their appreciation comes in the form of kind letters and hugs at family nights. Those things do not carry a monetary value, but are much more meaningful. 

At the beginning of the year, I have my students write down their goals of what they want to be when they grow up. They write these on hot air balloons and put them on a bulletin board. The board's title is: It's not where you are… It's where you are going.  I direct their attention to this all year long and return their balloon at the end of the year. Anytime that things get hard and they want to give up, or even when behavior begins to be problematic, I call their attention to their goals. If you give up, then you won't make it. 

At the beginning of the year, I see the doubt in their eyes as I tell them that they can make it. They can go to college and that they can become whatever they want to be. However, by the end of the year, I have them firmly believing that they are as capable as any other student of reaching their dreams.

Lately though, I have been getting a little frustrated over the racism and biases that surround us. The Cheerios commercial that stirred a nationwide controversy is one reason. Adults calling each other names and degrading mixed families is appalling. I watched a worthwhile video the other day with children's reactions to the commercial and their response to the hatred.




Why can't adults be as understanding and accepting as our children? What difference does it make what color we are? Does that alone determine who we are?

Another recent story was the outrage of a Latino American singing God Bless America at an MLB game. The tweets were horrifying! This gentleman was born in New York. He is an American through and through, yet he is condemned for the color of his skin. What is wrong with our society?


It is hard to teach and inspire those from different backgrounds because sometimes the cards ARE stacked against them. 

I believe I'll be starting the school year off with a discussion of prejudice and a viewing of the Cheerios commercial. We are all Americans, regardless of race. 

5 comments:

  1. This is so disheartening and such a negative reflection upon our society. I often tell kids that we are not born with our opinions, we learn them. We don't have to believe the same things our parents do just because we grew up listening to it. From small town Wyoming, our kids' prejudice comes from parents and grandparents, not their own experiences. I try to remind them that when they get out into the wild world, they will meet all kinds of people that make the world go around. I tell them to think of it as a car: it takes all kinds of parts, big, small, round, flat, black, white, silver, metal, rubber, vinyl, etc, to make one unit work effectively and efficiently. Why can't we do that as a nation of people?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That bulletin board hot air balloon idea is fantastic! I think it's important that students are constantly reminded of their goals and what they're working for. Unfortunately, there are a lot of prejudices out there about students of different backgrounds. My school has a lot of Chinese students and we see it everyday as well.

    It is disheartening to see them confront racism in "the real world." We can only hope that be teaching them empathy and inclusiveness early, we can change that trend.

    What grade level(s) do you teach?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I teach second grade, Amy. I love the little ones!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for sharing the video! While the reason for it being made is disappointing...I just loved these children and their good and kind hearts. Not only are these children being raised in a much more technological era they are being exposed to such deep topics much earlier and can contribute at much more profound levels. The children interviewed make my heart happy and I choose to focus on the beauty of their hearts and minds rather than the ugliness of the haters!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have so many thoughts on this post. Before I get in to the meat of it, I have to say that I love your hot air balloon bulletin board. What a great idea! I like how the kids are consistently reminded about their goals and can be refocused on them when needed.

    Now on to the meat of this post. I, like you, teach in a city that has a high population of ELL students only we have the highest percentage of Asian population. I was so angry when that Cheerios commercial got a negative reaction. Why can't we all live together as people, no matter our skin color. I was disappointed when I read about 'God Bless America'. I didn't hear about this story but it is appalling to think that people, more specifically adults, said negative things about him. It makes me really sad to think that people like this are the parents and examples of our students. I hope that the next generation can learn how to accept the differences and focus on what they can learn from each other!

    ReplyDelete